Surrey Delta BC at Legacies Health Centre
Staying Healthy During Cold & Flu Season
When it comes to colds and flus, prevention is your best strategy. One of the key contributing factors that determine your susceptibility to catching a cold or flu is the strength of your immune system.
There are simple steps you can take to boost your immune system:
- Eat a balanced and nutritious diet. Consume a whole foods diet balanced in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, nuts, and seeds.
- Take Vitamin D daily
- Drink fresh ginger tea regularly in fall and winter
- Take in some form of garlic daily
- Washing your hands regularly and thoroughly is one of the simplest ways to keep germs at bay. Avoid touching your face since germs often enter the body through the nose, eyes and mouth.
If you do start to feel sick…
Take action as soon as you start to feel the first sign of getting sick. Viruses like the flu don’t respond to antibiotics, but there are anti-viral therapies your Naturopathic Doctor can offer you to prevent or lessen the severity of illness. For more serious cases of viral infections, many Naturopathic Doctors can offer more advanced treatments in their clinics for those sick and not improving, including injection using all –natural substances with scientific research demonstrating their ability to fight viral infections and to stimulate the immune system. There are a number of simple measures you can take to speed up your recovery process:
- Take time to rest: sleep is essential for enhancing your immune system
- Drink large amount of fluids. Staying hydrated keeps your upper respiratory tract moist and less hospitable for viruses
- Avoid refined sugar
- Vitamin C is essential for proper immune function
- Echinacea can be taken at the onset of cold or flu to stimulate the immune system.
At Legacies Health Centre we offer a cold and flu prevention program that includes an immune boosting natural flu shot as well as nutritional, homeopathic and herbal support to keep you healthy this fall and winter. The natural flu shot is a combination of homeopathic medicines that activate the immune system against cold and flu viruses without exposing the person to the virus.
Dr Asal Shalviri, ND, Naturopathic Doctor at Legacies Health Centre